[ltp] Re: T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 12:08:31 -0400

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 09:29 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> What I mean by "reasonably detailed instructions" is that you'll have
> to tell me where to find the new modules, where to put them, and how
> to load them.  I'm still a novice when it comes to all things kernel,
> but happy to learn.

First, save the contents of /proc/ioports by doing 'cat /proc/ioports >
pre.txt'

Then run 'dmesg' and note the last few messages.

Go to the IBM/Lenovo tech support page linked to in the original post,
and you want the RPM for "power management".

If you're not running SuSE 10.1 with the indicated kernel, extract the
file 'batinfo.ko' from the RPM (GNOME's File Roller can do this, and if
you have rpm installed Midnight Commander is also capable) and drop it
in /lib/modules/<your kernel version>/misc. Run 'depmod -ae' and then
'modprobe --force batinfo'.

Run 'dmesg' again and see if anything is new. Save any new messages to a
text files. You will probably see messages about the kernel being
tainted, either because of bad vermagic or an unspecified license.

Then save the contents of /proc/ioports again, except to a different
file, for example post.txt.

Diff the two files--'diff -Naru pre.txt post.txt > ioports.diff'

Finally, look for interesting stuff under /proc that might have been
created by the batinfo module.

> This is really important to me because with NHC installed and wireless
> on under Windows XP, the machine runs cool and idles with no fan.  I
> want this to be a Linux machine primarily, but if we can't achieve the
> same, I'm afraid I'll be stuck in MS-land.

I think you should look into the undervolting patches available for the
Linux kernel to get the equivalent of NHC. Look at ThinkWiki for more
information.

HTH,
Andrew