[ltp] Re: [gmane.linux.hardware.thinkpad] Re: T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:22:53 -0400

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 18:46 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> I'm on a fresh install, so I'd be happy to install SLED just to find
> out.

That's probably the best next step. I was interested in the kernel
module because that's probably where the most useful information is, but
if hacky loading like that won't work then you'll just have to play by
the rules and install the RPM on SLED.

> That's more like installing a new kernel module, innit?  A kernel
> patch requires recompilation, IIUC.

Well, it's a moot point because I downloaded NHC and it doesn't appear
to have any kernel-mode device drivers in it. So apparently Windows
exposes the whole ACPI namespace to user-mode programs (you are
administrator by default anyway, so so much for security issues...).
Linux does this a bit too, under /sys/firmware/acpi, only the whole
thing isn't there right now. This was planned some time ago:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/238065

but I don't know what's happened in the meantime.

> Except that I posted something much shorter about an hour before that
> I never saw either.

I have not been seeing my posts to the list, now that you mention it. I
don't know if the list admin has changed a default or if it's on my end.
I started using Gmail SMTP, so maybe that's it.