[ltp] T60p officially supported with SuSE SLED 10 by Levono

Rasmus Lerdorf linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 10:08:57 -0700

Osho GG wrote:
> On 8/17/06, Vivek Dasmohapatra <vivek@etla.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Osho GG wrote:
>>
>> > Unfortunately you can't buy this from Levono with SuSE preinstalled.
>> > You get only a DOS installed system from Levono. You have to buy SLED
>>
>> That's still a _big_ improvement on the previous situation.
>> No more unnecessary windows licence to pay for.
>>

> It is indeed a big improvement. Even bigger improvement is the fact
> that they are providing rpms for various specific hardware and
> functions that will work with SLED 10 and will provide support for
> this.
>
> The current product line seems to be targetted at business users who
> probably have some IT support locally. They can easily handle
> installing a LInux distro such as SLED. Still, I would like to see a
> day when I can order it SLED preinstalled so Linux can reach the home
> user masses :).

Or even just have a no-OS choice on the actual order page.  On the T60p
configuration page you can still only choose between XP Home and XP
Professional.  So I am still not entirely sure how you are supposed to
buy it without a Windows license.  I guess you have to call and talk to
someone.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/thinkpad/t-series/tseries_byo_t60p.html

-Rasmus