[ltp] Re: [gmane.linux.hardware.thinkpad] Re: FYI, posted to list

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:28:32 -0400

Andrew Barr <andrew.james.barr@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 17:09 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
>> I just need to point out that your procedure here tells the opposite:
>> whether batinfo will load with hdaps loaded.
>
> Aargh. Sorry. I switched my instructions around after thinking about it
> for a minute, because I thought that we could fix hdaps to abort loading
> if the resource was in use (by the Lenovo module), but Lenovo are the
> only ones who can fix batinfo. I meant for you to follow this procedure:
>
> 1. modprobe hdaps
> 2. modprobe batinfo
>
>> With no battery in:
>>
>>      FATAL: Error inserting hdaps
>>      (/lib/modules/2.6.16.21-0.8-smp/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hdaps.ko):
>>      No such device or address
>>
>> in dmesg:
>>
>>    hdaps: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
>>    hdaps: supported laptop not found!
>>    hdaps: driver init failed (ret=-6)!
>>
>> Same result with battery in.
>
> You're a bit confused

Probably about something, but not about what you think.

> (sorry for not being clear!). I'm talking about
> the batinfo driver module here, not the physical battery.

I know that.  We talked about doing these experiments with no battery
in to protect the hardware.  I thought maybe the presence of the
battery would affect how a battery-related kernel module responded, so
I tried it both ways.

> You needed to remove the battery in case machine locked hard
> (possibly disabling charge control circuitry) when trying this.
>
> Regarding the 'hdaps' error, try this instead of 'modprobe hdaps':
>
> 'modprobe hdaps force=1'

      FATAL: Error inserting hdaps
      (/lib/modules/2.6.16.21-0.8-smp/kernel/drivers/hwmon/hdaps.ko):
      Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

dmesg yields:

   hdaps: module not supported by Novell, setting U taint flag.
   hdaps: Unknown parameter `force'

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting