[ltp] Fedora Core 5 & T43: Suspend & resume?

Matthias Runge linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:16:05 +0200

Clark Williams wrote:
> What did you do when you compiled your own kernel that fixed this problem?
>
> Clark

Clark,

before I got a vanilla kernel from kernel.org, (make menuconfig, make &&
make modules && make install) I tried to append all those kernel append
lines (acpi_mode etc) in  mixed combinations, but it didn't work. Since
kernel 2.6.16 or so, no further patches to vanilla kernel to work on the
t43.

I can confirm, using redhat/fedora kernels the system is running and
responsible after wakeup, but the backlight is not switched on after
wakeup. I tried to enforce this via radeontool, but the screen shows
garbage. It looks like the graphics card is not getting initialized
(again) after suspend. (Sorry for imprecise description, but I'm not
that deep in acpi and suspend and its technical realization).

I changed my sleep-event accourding your suggenstion
(event=button/lid, action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend).

At first, it seemed, the pm-suspend-script blocks some of the
acpi-events, that cause an immediate sleep after awake. Sadly, it does
not and I'm looking further for a solution.
Suspend to ram is really conveniant for me, because the system awakes
instantly (taking 10 to 20 seconds now under 2.6.17.8 kernel)

Do you have any suggestions, what to try else?
--
Matthias Runge