[ltp] Re: APM suspend/hibernate: 570E, ubuntu dapper

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 18 Aug 2006 11:14:05 -0400

Axel Braun wrote:

>Luigi de Guzman wrote:
>

>>The hibernation partition-- what type of hibernation partition do I have
>>make?  is it a0 (IBM hidden hibernation)?  Is it a regular vfat?
>>

>I think you need a FAT, as APM is driven by the BIOS
>

>>My
>>thinkpad has 320 mb of RAM + 2.5 MB vram:  is that too big for msdosfs?
>>

>No.
>

>>when I change the partition type, do I also have to make a new filesystem?
>>

>Yes, a FAT16
>

>>Does the hibernation partition have to be mounted, and if so, how and
>>where?
>>

>No, i dont think so.
>You need to create a hibernation file. Either you use a DOS program (I think
>it was called PS2.exe)

No, ps2 is a totally different program

>, or you google to find the Linux script that does
>this. I know there is one, but currently no idea where I found it....
>
>Cheers
>Axel

The easy way to do this is to go to the IBM site,
search on 2626-mou,
download the hibernate utility.
The utility will make a standalone bootable floppy.
This file will actually be for the 390* series and I can't say that it
will work with all
Tpads, but it has worked with everything that I have tried it on.
You do need free space on your hard drive but this will do everything else.
If it doesn't work for you, you can remove it with dos fdisk.