[ltp] Applying undervolting patches

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 19 Aug 2006 21:26:41 -0400

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 20:52 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> One thing I don't know how to evaluate: am I better off with a
> "vanilla" kernel, or should I be using the one from the ubuntu edgy
> eft repository.  Obviously (?) ubuntu is patching the kernel in some
> way; are those patches important to the correct operation of my
> existing ubuntu installation?

It depends.

Ubuntu stuffs a lot of third-party drivers (wireless cards, mainly) into
their kernel tree so that lots of exotic laptops will work out of the
box. Unfortunately, AFAIK they don't have patch files (individual or
monolithic) that diff against kernel.org trees, so it's hard to know
*what* exactly they've done.

As far as I know, as long as you have the kernel (from kernel.org) and
any necessary drivers, it should work with Ubuntu fine.

You could post the output of 'lsmod' to the list and people would be
able to tell you what is third-party and what is in Linus' kernel tree
(i.e. comes with the vanilla kernel).

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer.
  -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)