[ltp] Re: Applying undervolting patches

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 07:49:15 -0400

"Scott J. Henson" <scotth@csee.wvu.edu> writes:

> Ubuntu applies bug fixes and other stability improving
> patches to its kernel.  This is due to the way linux 2.6
> development has been proceeding.

How has it been proceeding, specifically?

> Generally speaking, your going to find your system more stable if
> you stick to kernel Ubuntu provides.
>
> Also, back porting kernels is kind of a project due to the
> changes in the kernel build structure from release to
> release.  Ive back ported kernels before, and I must say
> that it is a pain.
>
> In my opinion you may be better served by waiting the 2
> months for edgy to come out.  I'm not sure how much battery
> life you're expecting to gain,

>From what I've read, it can be substantial.

> but you need to weigh that against the loss in stability and ease of
> use (someone else has mentioned that Ubuntu provides a lot of driver
> integration).

"I have not yet begun to compute" on this machine.  So it's a little
early yet to surrender ;-)

Anyway, I still have the edgy kernel sources, so I should be able to
do that build here and apply the undervolting patches to that.

> Now, having said that, it is possible to build a kernel and
> have it managed by apt and friends.  There exists a package
> called kernel-package that was built for building kernels
> into a deb automagically.

I believe the HOWTOs I've found are all using it.

> I haven't used it since my old
> days in Debian and initial forays into Ubuntu, but I would
> expect it to work still.  I used to follow the bleeding edge
> on kernels to get the latest and greatest, but Ive grown
> mundane in my old age and count stability and not having to
> waste time building kernels over any perceived gain on the
> bleeding edge.
>
> --
> Scott Henson
> LCSEE Systems Staff
> WVU MAE Undergraduate

Ahem.  When you reach true old age, like me, you may find yourself
getting fussy about how hot your laptop gets, how quietly it can run,
etc.  I bought this machine because there were too many annoying
things about a MacBook pro.  I need to make it work better than one of
those or it will all be for naught.  So even if I don't end up using
the new kernel much, it's important for me to know now how well it
*can* work.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting