[ltp] EC Hanging with latest tp-smapi (0.29)

Sun, 20 Aug 2006 23:19:29 -0300

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006, TNKS wrote:
>     thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_request_row: EC is mysteriously silent
>                  (0x01:0x00)->0xa0
>     thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_read_row: failed requesting row:
>                  (0x01:0x00)->0xfffffffb
>     thinkpad_ec: thinkpad_ec_request_row: bad initial STR3:
>                  (0x01:0x00)->0xa0

Not good.

> I seem to get the hung EC both with and without the dmi kernel patch that
> 0.29 comes with.  However, it seems to be a lot worse (happens sooner)

DMI should not matter at *all* to your case.   If it does, something Really
Bad is happening.

Now, please run your "EC hang" script using a function that *IS* implemented
in your thinkpad.  Can you still trigger it?   If you can still trigger it,
what happens if you do the same test in *single user mode* ?

Notes:

  WHEN DEBUGGING EC HANGS:
  1. Remove the battery, use only the ac adapter (easier on the TP hardware,
     and also safer)
  2. Use hdparm to set the HD to spin down after a few seconds right before
     the test, so that you can wait for the HD to spin down by itself BEFORE
     you have to unplug a hung ThinkPad.  This is much better for your HD,
     unplugging the ThinkPad with an unparked HD is bad for the HD's health.

  Henrique Holschuh