[ltp] some windows and some linux question

Yudi Wijaya linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:52:30 +0700

Hello linux-thinkpad,

Hello thinkpad,

I'm new user of IBM Thinkpad X31 (type: 2672) and i got Microsoft
Windows XP SP1 already installed.

I'm planning to use dual operating system (Windows XP and linux
distribution) and create a partition for my documents file, music,
etc.

I have some questions:
1. I want to create a partition for store music, documents, e-mail,
etc. I install PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0, then there is C: (NTFS)
with label "IBM_PRELOAD" (without quotes), it's 25,337.8 MB (about 25
GB), but i see in Everest from Lavalys the formatted capacity is 30
GB, so i think the rest of 5 GB is hidden partition for IBM Recovery.
Then from 25 GB, i resize about 5 GB for new partition, i label it as
"DATA" (without quotes) and format it into NTFS, then i apply all
partition task, then do restart, before enter to Microsoft Windows XP
system there is PartitionMagic boot loader that resize the partition.
I worry, does the IBM recovery partition deleted? because i don't
want delete it.
2. Because in IBM Recovery Partition only use Microsoft Windows XP
SP1, so how to update the recovery image to Microsoft Windows XP SP2,
so i don't have to install the SP2 after do recovery.
3. Which linux distribution recommend for my X31? I decide 2 linux
distribution (Debian or Ubuntu or Kubuntu), actually i prefer to use
Debian because support more software than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I already
tried both about 2 years.. but IMHO is same. So, i need second
opinion from you.
4. I don't have IBM CD-ROM and i don't have IBM Floppy Disk, so how to
install that linux distribution (regarding your linux distribution
recommendation for me)?
But, i have UTP Cable attached to switch or other PC. Do you have any
better tips of installation to share?
Once again, with this linux installation does the IBM recovery
partition will deleted?
5. Is it ok to install Acronis True Image for Workstation in X31
(because IBM already have recovery partition), but i think the
advantage of use Acronis True Image is i can make backup of best
condition of system (already installed with some software that i want,
so i don't need to install them again after recovery process).
How about the linux? is it possible too? because there is Acronis True
Image for Linux

thank you :)

--
Best regards,