[ltp] Re: Re: EC Hanging with latest tp-smapi (0.29)

TNKS linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 01:43:33 -0500

Shem Multinymous wrote:

>>A simple "while true; do cat dump; done"
>> exposes the problem fine and polls more rapidly.
>
> How long did it take?

The EC hangs many times within a second of beginning the poll loop.
However, there might be some exception to this.  I've been bringing up and
down my computer a lot of times now trying to hang the EC.  After all those
times, I don't remember exactly, but maybe there was a time when the poll
loop didn't trigger an EC hang, but I'm forgetting.  For the most part, it
seems effective.  After writing this E-mail, I'll do it again, and report
back if I come up with a more specific consensus.

> There's just one more test that would be useful, if you get a chance:
> unload tp_smapi+thinkpad_ec+hdaps, load the vanilla hdaps module (not
> the one patched by tp_smapi) and see if this causes the hang:
> # while true; do cat /sys/devices/platform/hdaps/position; done

my quick check of the old hdaps seemed to indicate that it is stable with
respect to this problem.

Let me know how I can help further.

- Sukant