[ltp] Re: some windows and some linux question

Axel Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:20:16 +0200

Yudi Wijaya wrote:

> I'm new user of IBM Thinkpad X31 (type: 2672) and i got Microsoft
> Windows XP SP1 already installed.
>
> I'm planning to use dual operating system (Windows XP and linux
> distribution) and create a partition for my documents file, music,
> etc.

good idea....

> I have some questions:
> 1. I want to create a partition for store music, documents, e-mail,
> etc. I install PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0, then there is C: (NTFS)
> with label "IBM_PRELOAD" (without quotes), it's 25,337.8 MB (about 25
> GB), but i see in Everest from Lavalys the formatted capacity is 30
> GB, so i think the rest of 5 GB is hidden partition for IBM Recovery.
> Then from 25 GB, i resize about 5 GB for new partition, i label it as
> "DATA" (without quotes) and format it into NTFS, then i apply all
> partition task, then do restart, before enter to Microsoft Windows XP
> system there is PartitionMagic boot loader that resize the partition.
> I worry, does the IBM recovery partition deleted? because i don't
> want delete it.

No, ususally not. On the other hand, you may ask IBM-service for a bootable
backup image (yes, they have some, and I got one from them. I never needed
it).
Think about deleting the hidden partition, its not really needed.

Formatting the shared partition as NTFS is a fairly bad idea...NTFS is a
closed source filesystem, and writing from Linux is still beta. Either use
VFAT or ext3 (you can access ext3 from XP, although it does not have
journaling functions then) Driver is from http://www.fs-driver.org/

> 2. Because in IBM Recovery Partition only use Microsoft Windows XP
> SP1, so how to update the recovery image to Microsoft Windows XP SP2,
> so i don't have to install the SP2 after do recovery.

Wrong group ;-)

> 3. Which linux distribution recommend for my X31? I decide 2 linux
> distribution (Debian or Ubuntu or Kubuntu), actually i prefer to use
> Debian because support more software than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I already
> tried both about 2 years.. but IMHO is same. So, i need second
> opinion from you.

SuSE (probably not the freak's choice, but I'm happy with it since years)

> 4. I don't have IBM CD-ROM and i don't have IBM Floppy Disk, so how to
> install that linux distribution (regarding your linux distribution
> recommendation for me)?

Well, you need something to boot from.......probably better to attach a
CD-ROM than a floppy drive :-). Maybe you can bootvia USB-stick and then
perform  a network installation? (Has someone tried to install the minimal
installation image, some 25MB, onto a USB-stick????)

> But, i have UTP Cable attached to switch or other PC. Do you have any
> better tips of installation to share?
> Once again, with this linux installation does the IBM recovery
> partition will deleted?

Not if you keep fingers off this partition in the partitioning dialog (BTW,
ubuntu 6.06 has a bug in the partitioning dialog. Should be fixed in
6.06.1, which is now available as image)

> 5. Is it ok to install Acronis True Image for Workstation in X31
> (because IBM already have recovery partition), but i think the
> advantage of use Acronis True Image is i can make backup of best
> condition of system (already installed with some software that i want,
> so i don't need to install them again after recovery process).
> How about the linux? is it possible too? because there is Acronis True
> Image for Linux

Ni idea about that software

HTH
Axel