[ltp] Re: some windows and some linux question

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:27:08 -0400

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:20 +0200, Axel Braun wrote:
> > I worry, does the IBM recovery partition deleted? because i don't
> > want delete it.
>
> No, ususally not. On the other hand, you may ask IBM-service for a bootable
> backup image (yes, they have some, and I got one from them. I never needed
> it).
> Think about deleting the hidden partition, its not really needed.

However, think about using the open-source partition imaging tool
partimage before doing so. It understands MS filesystems like FAT and
NTFS so it only saves in-use blocks. Additionally it has compression and
file splitting capabilities for saving on removable media.

> Formatting the shared partition as NTFS is a fairly bad idea...NTFS is a
> closed source filesystem, and writing from Linux is still beta. Either use
> VFAT or ext3 (you can access ext3 from XP, although it does not have
> journaling functions then) Driver is from http://www.fs-driver.org/

Lots of people swear by the new NTFS-3G program, however. It is
available from http://www.linux-ntfs.org/ from the same people who
develop the kernelspace filesystem driver.

I have not had a chance to use it, but I am waiting on the delivery of a
USB enclosure for my old laptop hard disk. I will be using it to install
Windows XP, for that once-in-a-blue-moon time that I need it (unlikely)
or want it (e.g. like recently I wanted to take a look at the TP power
drivers with a debugger).

> > 3. Which linux distribution recommend for my X31? I decide 2 linux
> > distribution (Debian or Ubuntu or Kubuntu), actually i prefer to use
> > Debian because support more software than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I already
> > tried both about 2 years.. but IMHO is same. So, i need second
> > opinion from you.
>
> SuSE (probably not the freak's choice, but I'm happy with it since years)

Debian "unstable" is a good choice too if you like up-to-date software
and relatively little breakage. I agree with you that Debian is the same
as *buntu.

> Well, you need something to boot from.......probably better to attach a
> CD-ROM than a floppy drive :-). Maybe you can bootvia USB-stick and then
> perform  a network installation? (Has someone tried to install the minimal
> installation image, some 25MB, onto a USB-stick????)

Debian is much more likely to be easier to install in this situation. I
think there are USB stick images on the Debian Installer development
page for etch (which can optionally be upgraded to unstable after the
initial install phase).

I've tried to install SuSE several times and found its installer to be
flaky and counterintuitive (why isn't there a mirror list on the CD for
a net install?? Downloading multigigabyte-sized DVD images is so 2000)

> > Once again, with this linux installation does the IBM recovery
> > partition will deleted?
>
> Not if you keep fingers off this partition in the partitioning dialog (BTW,
> ubuntu 6.06 has a bug in the partitioning dialog. Should be fixed in
> 6.06.1, which is now available as image)

Don't use automatic partitioning and you should be fine, at least in
Debian. I don't know about this Ubuntu bug so if you use that be
careful.

When my Dad bought a new ThinkPad, I installed Debian sid on it for him,
but first I used partimage to save the IBM recovery partition to another
computer. Just in case he wanted to go back. That has been close to a
year ago now. :)

> > 5. Is it ok to install Acronis True Image for Workstation in X31
> > (because IBM already have recovery partition), but i think the
> > advantage of use Acronis True Image is i can make backup of best
> > condition of system (already installed with some software that i want,
> > so i don't need to install them again after recovery process).
> > How about the linux? is it possible too? because there is Acronis True
> > Image for Linux

I did not have good experiences with commercial partition backup
software like Norton Ghost and TrueImage. More often than not, the
images that they wrote were inexplicably unusable (at least, the error
messages were not particularly informative). I highly recommend
partimage, it comes with many "rescue" type Linux distros that go on
CD-ROMs or USB sticks.

Windows can be extremely flaky about unexpected disk layout changes or
other issues introduced by (any) partition backup software, however.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer.
  -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)