[ltp] Re: Re: Re: EC Hanging with latest tp-smapi (0.29)

Shem Multinymous linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:50:27 +0300

On 8/21/06, TNKS <0osz0s302@sneakemail.com> wrote:
> So I did a prolonged test on the unpatched hdaps position interface.  I just
> ran it for a few minutes.  I know that doesn't sound long, but in my
> experience of this problem, that's enough to convince me that hdaps is far
> less fragile than tp_smapi.

That much is evident, the question is whether hdaps might also
triggers the same firmware bug.

> Right after my multi-minute test of the unpatched hdaps, I polled dump, and
> within seconds the EC hung.

Whereas hdaps 'position' queries the hardware just once per read, the
'dump' attribute makes 24 back-to-back queries. So if both trigger the
same firmware bug, I expect 'dump' to do it much faster.

Is 'dump' a lot more problematic than other battery status attributes
(e.g., current_now)?

> It's a little frightening that my EC can crap out like this.  So no one else
> has verified this behavior?

Yes, it is.
FWIW, this is the first hang report I got for recent versions of tp_smapi.

  Shem