[ltp] some windows and some linux question

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:31:42 -0400

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 21:16 +0200, Maciej Musial wrote:

> "i prefer to use Debian because support more software than Ubuntu/Kubuntu"
> I'm not sure what do you mean. Linux is always linux so you can
> install what ever you want on all distributions (of course if it is
> not Windows software (but there is also a way to do it ;) ).
> My favourite distributions are Slackware and Gentoo.

He means that by far Debian has the largest selection of precompiled
binary packages for easy installation. In my experience, only Gentoo has
more packages, but you must compile not only your selection but any
dependencies you don't have. Not to mention Debian (and Ubuntu)
configure things--from users and groups all the way up to X.Org--for
you, leaving only minor tweaking for those who want to.

> > 4. I don't have IBM CD-ROM and i don't have IBM Floppy Disk, so how to
> > install that linux distribution (regarding your linux distribution
> > recommendation for me)?

It would be good to know what exactly your machine does support booting
from, you can divine this information from BIOS setup screens. You said
you don't have a floppy so USB is probably next best, if that doesn't
work or isn't available you'll have to set up a network boot server,
which isn't easy from what I can tell. :(

> If you can make a BackUp you can use 'tar' and 'gzip'. Or use 'dd' to
> make disk image. Remember - the simpliest solutions are always the
> best :).

tar and gzip won't work for Windows, and dd does not understand
filesystems, so it will copy the whole partition, including unused
blocks. This won't compress away to nothing unless the blocks are
zeroed.
--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer.
  -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)