[ltp] Re: Re: some windows and some linux question

Axel Braun linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 08:04:20 +0200

Andrew Barr wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 18:20 +0200, Axel Braun wrote:
>> > I worry, does the IBM recovery partition deleted? because i don't
>> > want delete it.
>>
>> No, ususally not. On the other hand, you may ask IBM-service for a
>> bootable backup image (yes, they have some, and I got one from them. I
>> never needed it).
>> Think about deleting the hidden partition, its not really needed.
>
> However, think about using the open-source partition imaging tool
> partimage before doing so. It understands MS filesystems like FAT and
> NTFS so it only saves in-use blocks. Additionally it has compression and
> file splitting capabilities for saving on removable media.

Sure, backing up is always a good idea, in case you need it again...That
reminds me to clean up all the OS/2 and DOS backups I still have lying
around...in case I need it again :-)

>> Formatting the shared partition as NTFS is a fairly bad idea...NTFS is a
>> closed source filesystem, and writing from Linux is still beta. Either
>> use VFAT or ext3 (you can access ext3 from XP, although it does not have
>> journaling functions then) Driver is from http://www.fs-driver.org/
>
> Lots of people swear by the new NTFS-3G program, however. It is
> available from http://www.linux-ntfs.org/ from the same people who
> develop the kernelspace filesystem driver.

Good, I'll give it a try...

>> > 3. Which linux distribution recommend for my X31? I decide 2 linux
>> > distribution (Debian or Ubuntu or Kubuntu), actually i prefer to use
>> > Debian because support more software than Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I already
>> > tried both about 2 years.. but IMHO is same. So, i need second
>> > opinion from you.
>>
>> SuSE (probably not the freak's choice, but I'm happy with it since years)
>
> Debian "unstable" is a good choice too if you like up-to-date software
> and relatively little breakage. I agree with you that Debian is the same
> as *buntu.

When it runs, it runs. But it still lacks some easy-to-configure tools.
After I installed it on an older ThinkPad770, screen resolution was shit
and sound not working. Control center? Didnt help. Online? Not found what I
was looking for (instead got stuckin a couple of 'loop links' on the
website). Fortunately I noticed somewhere that there is a
dpkg-reconfigure.....BTW, how far is Yast for Debian in between?

> I've tried to install SuSE several times and found its installer to be
> flaky and counterintuitive (why isn't there a mirror list on the CD for
> a net install?? Downloading multigigabyte-sized DVD images is so 2000)

Cant share this opinion, and I dont mind downloading 3G from the net. It
pays off after the second installation from the DVD. The (graphical)
installer is really easy to use...whats counterintuitive on that?

>> > Once again, with this linux installation does the IBM recovery
>> > partition will deleted?
>>
>> Not if you keep fingers off this partition in the partitioning dialog
>> (BTW, ubuntu 6.06 has a bug in the partitioning dialog. Should be fixed
>> in 6.06.1, which is now available as image)
>
> Don't use automatic partitioning and you should be fine, at least in
> Debian. I don't know about this Ubuntu bug so if you use that be
> careful.

I tried manual partitioning, but it failed. Used an older knoppix to do the
partitioning, then kubuntu worked fine .

Cheers
Axel
--
Linux on a ThinkPad: www.axxite.com/brn