[ltp] Re: Undocking?

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:24:16 -0400

Stefan Schmidt <stefan@sostec.de> writes:

> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 20:34, David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> So the computer is listening to the button.  But how can I tell if it's doing
>> anything sensible in response?  And if it's not, how do I make it safe to eject
>> the machine from the dock?
>
> You need the ibm-acpi driver. Should be inside the standard ubuntu
> kernel.

Yep, it's already there.

> With the acpi event you can trigger a shell script doing the
> following, and perhaps some more tasks.
>
> echo undock > /proc/acpi/ibm/dock

Brilliant!  Once I figured out I had to restart acpid, everything
worked smashingly :)

> For a longer description of this feature please refer to the ibm-acpi
> README, docking section.
>
> http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/README

Already did.  Ooo, but I just noticed it won't respond unless it was
booted in the dock :(.  I guess I might have to build some kind of
dock/undock widget to put in a gnome panel.

Thanks for your help!

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting