[ltp] Re: Undocking?

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 07:19:10 -0400

Stefan Schmidt <stefan@sostec.de> writes:

> Hello.
>
> On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 19:24, David Abrahams wrote:
>> Stefan Schmidt <stefan@sostec.de> writes:
>>
>> > For a longer description of this feature please refer to the ibm-acpi
>> > README, docking section.
>> >
>> > http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/README
>>
>> Already did.  Ooo, but I just noticed it won't respond unless it was
>> booted in the dock :(.
>
> Yes, imb-acpi is limited. Perhaps you should wait until the generic
> dock patches are in main.

I refuse to wait for basic things that every Windows user has a right
to expect ;-)!  Unfortunately that might mean I'll end up using
windows primarily... :(

> This should makes things in this area
> easier. Especially the paper from OLS Alex mentioned looks
> interesting.
>
>> I guess I might have to build some kind of dock/undock widget to
>> put in a gnome panel.
>
> Would be cool.

Unfortunately, contrary to the ibm-acpi README, when the machine was
booted outside the dock, the dock/undock commands don't work ("no such
device") and USB devices attached to the dock never wake up.

So I might have to try those other patches.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting