[ltp] R51 dualhead with radeon 7500

Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:20:35 +0300

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 08:52:07AM +0200, Nikolas Tautenhahn wrote:
> I have severe problems in getting dualhead to work on my R51 (Radeon=20
> 7500) with Opensuse 10.1
> What I want is a bigger desktop in 1024x768 - 1280x1024 or 1024x768 -=20
> 1024x768; external monitor is an eizo f370 with ddc.
> I tried several things I found through searches, some on this mailing=20
> list, others from thinkwiki and I ended up with two different=20
> xorg.conf-files.
> The first one was my original, single-screen-xorg.conf which I manually=
=20
> adjusted according to man pages, mailing lists etc.
> The other one was created from Sax2 from the scratch, i.e. with new=20
> hardware recognition and so on and I configured dualhead/Xinerama in Sax2.
> Unfortunately both conf-files have the same result: I have a bigger=20
> desktop (2048x768) but both, the internal tft and the crt show the same=
=20
> (left) half of it.

I have seen this problem when I used an older version of X (in Ubuntu
Breezy).  There should be a bug on freedesktop.org somewhere.  It may be
closed already.

A workaround is to define more than one metamode (say, one dual-head
mode and one clone mode) and then use xrandr a couple of times to switch
to some other mode and back again.

If you're interested, you can check my working X.org conf is at
<http://mg.pov.lt/xorg.conf>.  I have the same video card and use the
same resolution (1024x768 + 1280x1024).

Marius Gedminas
--=20
"Only wimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)"
(Linus Torvalds, about his failing hard drive on linux.cs.helsinki.fi)

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7

--GRPZ8SYKNexpdSJ7--