[ltp] Re: T60 power management issues

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:53:10 -0400

Ingmar Schoegl <ischoegl@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

> I got my T60 last friday and have linux (ubuntu dapper) pretty much
> installed and configured. So far, I really love this machine (especially
> compared to the laptop I was using before), but I have some remaining
> issues. My T60 appears to have power management issues, and I'm not sure
> whether I should wait for a BIOS update which might fix them or try to
> have the lenovo/IBM tech support address them ...
>
> i) The EEPROM issue: I get the EEPROM Checksum Is Not Valid error (see
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_e1000:_EEPROM_Checksum_Is_Not_Valid)
> which I was able to circumvent by removing/adding the kernel module
> # modprobe -r e1000
> # modprobe e1000
> annoying, but I can put that into a script

I saw that once or twice on my T60p.  I think I might've fixed it by
downloading/installing the BIOS upgrade from IBM.

> ii) My main concern: the high pitched noise when wifi is on and I'm
> running on battery.  Again, there is a fix (see
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problem_with_high_pitch_noises)
> # echo 2 > /sys/module/processor/parameters/max_cstate
> I.e. the noise occurs only at the lowest two processor power states
>
> Here I have a question. I just ran
> # cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state | grep present present:
> yes
> present rate:            22287 mW
> present voltage:         11296 mV
> on battery, medium backlight, both cpu's up (max_state=2),
> bluetooth/wifi on, 15" version with x1400 chip (fglrx drivers installed
> but not optimized). OK, I didn't really try to optimize power
> consumption, but the voltage reading seems really low (a post by Sean
> Kelley contains a voltage reading of 12327mV), i.e. it might be a full
> volt low ... do you think that this might cause the noise problem?

present rate:     23636 mW
present voltage:  12401 mV

> I really want to know whether my T60 has a technical problem, so I'd
> really appreciate if you could post some readings and tell me whether
> you have the noise problem or not?

I'll have to check this out once I get my wireless card working again.
However, I'm really sensitive to noise and so far, the usually mild
fan noise (which I'm trying to figure out how to kill) has been the
dominant sound.

> iii) something that I haven't investigated in depth yet is the graphics
> chip (ATI x1400). First of all, the chip's running hot (67 deg at idle,
> 88 deg when running fgl_glxgears),

Yes, mine idles at 70 deg centigrade.

> and when I tried to force it into
> power saving mode (correct me if I got this wrong)
> # aticonfig --set-powerstate=1
> I got extremely bad artifacts (had to reboot, couldn't even get into a
> shell). Any tips would be appreciated (I used the restricted ubuntu
> driver package)

I don't get artifacts, but I also don't see much noticeable effect on
the temperature.

> To make this mail not even longer than it already is, I just wanted to
> ask for some feedback about my woes. Should I send my T60 in to try to
> get rid of the noise issue? I'm hesitant to send it in and have tech
> support tell me that those things are normal. Thanks for you help, I
> really appreciate it!

I'd at least start by talking to someone.  IBM's support seems to be
unusually good.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting