[ltp] Re: Applying undervolting patches

Andrew Barr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:27:15 -0400

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 11:53 -0400, David Abrahams wrote:
> * I did not replace my stock kernel when I built a kernel with the
>   linux-phc patches.  The stock kernel is still present on my machine.
>
> * Now when I boot into the stock kernel, the wireless card is not
>   present.
>
> * Are you saying that building the patched kernel and/or booting into
>   it somehow managed to remove the driver from my stock kernel?  How
>   is that possible?

I would do then:

apt-get install --reinstall linux-image-2.6.15-26-686

That should ensure all the files that are in that package are present on
your file system. This would be more of a sanity check than anything
else.

> /lib/modules/2.6.15-26-686/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ipw3945/ipw3945.ko
> is present.
>
> For that matter, so is
> /lib/modules/2.6.15.7-ubuntu1-phc/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ipw3945/ipw3945.ko

You should look through the output of 'dmesg' to see if there are
unresolved symbols or some other issue that is preventing the module
from actually loading. Is it listed in 'lsmod' when the wireless card is
not working?

The ipw3945 driver also has that regulatory daemon (ipw3945d) that it
requires for its operation. Perhaps this isn't functioning correctly?
Check for it's presence in memory with 'pidof ipw3945d' (if it's running
the process ID will be printed) The kernel module would likely complain
in 'dmesg' if this wasn't working as expected.

--
Andrew Barr | http://www.oakcourt.dyndns.org/~andrew/

All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if
you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer.
  -- IBM maintenance manual (1925)