[ltp] TPDimmer

Alfredo Matos linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:41:04 +0100

Stefan Schmidt wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 12:06, Kasper Peeters wrote:
>
>> install an experimental 2.16 in an otherwise fine system, so this
>> seems like a useful tool.
>>

> Of course it is usefull. Just remember all the non-gnome-user, or
> people like to use this feature without gnome-power-manager.
>
> regards
> Stefan Schmidt

Well, i've been tinkering around with the gnome-power-manager from cvs.
The code i wrote updates directly ibm_acpi info, in proc, so it has the
advantages of not requiring libnotify and dbus.

 Gnome-power-manager uses dbus. The behavior of dimming and brightening
up right after was a bug i had to fix in my code, since X generates some
event a few microseconds after the fade out occurs. I'll try to get my
hands dirty in gnome-power-manager cvs, coupled possibly with some bug
reports, so that this is clean in gnome 2.16 for all thinkpad users.
I'll also try and talk to the maintainer to add some sliders so that
dimming and screensaver occur at different times.

As Stefan mentioned, i'll keep this around for non-gnome users, so i'll
try to do some cleanup. For gnome-users, well, this provides a little
more flexibility for the time beeing (I hope).

regards,
Alfredo Matos