[ltp] a question about thinkpad history

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:53:00 -0400

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 09:34 -0400, fire-eyes wrote:

> Another real stinker, is every time I log into any WM/DE using any DM,
> that works fine. But when it is time to log out of said WM/DE and
> bounced back to the DM, boom, total system hang. Again, often
> requiring a fsck of all filesystems and sometimes leading to damage.

I used to have similar problems, until I added/removed a few key items
from my xorg.conf. Now, I have zero problems with suspend, resume,
hibernate (well, with respect to the video card, hibernate has its own
problems on my hardware), and logging out and back in again.

What does your xorg.conf look like? Here's the relevant sections of my
own:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Generic Monitor"
        DisplaySize  402        302
        HorizSync    28.0 - 100.0
        VertRefresh  43.0 - 100.0
        Option      "DPMS"
        Option      "Backing Store"
        Option      "SWCursor"
        Option      "LCDClock" "220MHz"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        # These two lock up with r300 driver
        Option      "AGPFastWrite"      "on"
#       Option      "RenderAccel"       "true"

        Identifier  "ATI Technologies, Inc. M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]"
        Driver      "fglrx"
#       Option      "XaaNoScanlineImageWriteRect"
#       Option      "XaaNoScanlineCPUToScreenColorExpandFill"
        Option      "AGPMode"           "4"
        Option      "HyperZ"            "true"
        Option      "EnablePageFlip"    "on"
        Option      "Colortiling"       "true"
        Option      "DynamicClocks"     "true"
#       Option      "BackingStore"      "true"
        Option      "PowerState"        "1"
#       Option      "MergedFB"          "false"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

--
David A. Desrosiers
desrod gnu-designs com

"Erosion of civil liberties... is a threat to national security."