[ltp] Success with fglrx 8.28.8?

TNKS linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:48:42 -0500

Hi,

I sent a message with my Xorg.0.log attached earlier.  But I think it wasn't
accepted because of the attachment, so I posted my log on pastebin.ca
<http://pastebin.ca/151245>.

Here's the description of my problem:

With the latest ATI fglrx (8.28.8) on a Thinkpad T42 with the latest
Debian-patched Sid linux kernel sources, when I shut down my X server, the
whole system freezes, and sometimes it reboots too (actually shutting down
services and all, which is surprising). This happens consistently upon
shutting down X, and for now, that's the only time it seems to happen.

Maybe you know what's going wrong and how to help me get my system
configured correctly with 8.28.8.  For now, I've reverted to the previous
version of fglrx, which seems to work fine.

Or maybe you can just corroborate that this is indeed a larger problem with
the ATI drivers.  ATI is a little sluggish in responding to rogue reports
of incompatibility, but if we as a Thinkpad community are clear about the
problem, maybe we can get a more prompt response.

By the way, I'm using both the fglrx kernel module /and/ the fglrx X driver.
I recall (from my last reboot) that the problem might be there even without
the fglrx module, but I'm not sure.  I'm really tired of rebooting my
computer for now, and I'll maybe get around to it if there's more responses
to this post.

Thanks for your input,
Sukant