[ltp] Request: EC dump information for A3x/X3x/T3x Thinkpads

Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:23:43 -0300

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I was very surprised to find that this worked on my T20,

> EC 0xc0: *7e *2b *cc *9a  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00  00

Uh oh...  there goes the chance of easily expanding ibm-acpi, and also my
praise for IBM's supposedly good handling of the EC register space
allocation.  Heh.

There is no chance that set of readings are thermal sensors, obviously :p

Well, this was a *very* important datapoint, thanks for the email and head's
up.   It looks like the only way is for a DMI match for the ibm-acpi
extension for "thermal" (we could easily detect "not enough 0x80" but that
is not future-proof), plus the usual "manual override" module parameter.

Probably the same DMI match used by thinkpad_ec to locate a working
latest-version Thinkpad EC firmware will do.  So far, all models reported to
behave in the C0-C7 range are an OK match to the firmware DMI string.

  Henrique Holschuh