[ltp] Re: Any ACPI event for plugging in monitors?

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 16:04:33 -0400

Stefan Schmidt <stefan@sostec.de> writes:

> Hello.
>
> On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 13:37, David Abrahams wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to take some action whenever an external monitor is
>> plugged/unplugged from my T60p.
>
> This has nothing to do with ACPI, as it is only related to your
> graphic system.

I'm not sure you've understood me.

> This is a limitation in X.org. But keithp is on the
> way to make monitor hotplug possible with the new randr.

My driver already supports monitor hotplug; it disables monitors when
they're unplugged at least, and xrandr is used to ensure the desktop
fits on what remains.  I just don't know how to initiate some action
when a hotplug/hotunplug happens.

>> I'm using the latest ATI fglrx.
>
> Never used.
>
>> Does anyone know of a way?
>
> Within the free radeon driver you add the following to force X setting
> up a the second crt:
>
> Option          "CRT2HSync"     "30.0-83.0"
> Option          "CRT2VRefresh"  "56.0-75.0"

I really don't see a relationship between my problem and setting
monitor frequencies.

> But you need to adjust this to your monitor settings. So this is not a
> working solution for an unknown monitor or beamer, but a solution for
> well known monitor.

This is not an issue for me, fortunately.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting