[ltp] Re: APM suspend/hibernate: 570E, ubuntu dapper

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 18:05:35 -0500

Luigi de Guzman wrote:
> I still can't get APM working on my 570e running Ubuntu dapper.
>
> The 570e has 320 MB of RAM;  I have a 350 MB hibernation partition set
> aside;  my hibernation file, suspend2dsk.bin is 330 MB.  The hibernation
> partition, which is /dev/hda3 is mounted at /mnt/hibernate

You must use PS2.EXE to create your hibernation file.  It must reside on
a FAT partition.  That partition need not be mounted anywhere in your
Linux system.

> Unplugged from AC, the function key for suspend-to-RAM does nothing.
> Fn-F12, which is supposed to suspend to disk, returns a low beep.

The low beep is the error beep, it means that APM doesn't think that
hibernation is set up correctly.

> Attempting to suspend by using apm -s causes the system to crash.  if
> I do
> this from within a textmode console it returns a long string of error
> messages, and I can't seem to redirect the output or find where it's
> logged.

I've never tried apm -s on my 600E because Fn-F4 for suspend and Fn-F12
for hibernate work fine.

> I'm at wits' end.  Can someone please post a clear, step-by-step guide to
> getting APM running on this model?  All the guidance on the web seems
> to be
> at least 5 or 6 years old.

The guidance is old because there is nothing new at all with APM.
Understand the APM resides in your BIOS, not in Linux.  APM does not
care what OS is running.  Get PS2.EXE here
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG>
and use it to enable suspend and hibernation.  Your BIOS should be at
version 1.07, iuet26ww, if not, update it.

Good Luck,
wes