[ltp] Slightly OT: best router with 2915ABG?

Jiang Qian linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:19:51 -0400

Hi Tino:
> My Linksys WRT54GS with OpenWRT, plain 802.11g and WPA2 reaches 27
> MBit/s for TCP through a solid wall, and iwlist ath0 scan shows 8
> 802.11b/g networks.

I finally purchased WRT54GL, which I promptly installed DD-WRT. To my
great consternation, I could not get sustained speed higher than 2.7 to
2.8MB/sec(22Mbit/sec) between wireless and wired LAN port, with WPA2
encryption. This is true even when the signal strength is strong(55dB)
and link quality good(>98%).  Changing to WEP or disabling encryption
all together does not change the max speed at all.  So my question is

1. Was 27Mbit/s you measured sustained speed over a large download?
2. What special parameter(power boost, frameburst etc.) did you set in
your OpenWRT?

Of course this could simply be that my integrated centrino wifi/or its
ipw2200(1.1.2) driver is crappy. But since I've already got good
link quality and good signal to noise ratio, should the driver still
affect the speed?

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment from network gurus.
Jiang