[ltp] Linux and Windows Screen Display

SOTL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:40:13 -0500

Hi All

Several weeks back I reported that my dual boot Thinkpad had developed the bad
habit of displaying Windows correctly while at the same time refusing to
display Linux.

For those of you who do not recall something happened. The computer was
working fine except one of the hinges was slightly shaky - not much just
slightly. The computer had been dropped off a table ,30 inches I think, a
couple of years before while in its protective scarring bag. It had sustained
no operational damage but physically one of the hinges just was not factory
tight any more. Anyway, a couple of months I had to move. The computer was
left in a secure location in my truck for 3 or 4 weeks everything looked fine
and there was definitely no possibility of any physical damage being
sustained due to shock but heat damage is another issue entirely. The
computer could have been subjected to high temperatures for some days. I
Florida it gets hot in cars with windows closed and no air conditioning.

On restarting the computer it was noted that there were vertical bright blue
lines about 3/8 inch apart across the screen, that when the normal boot
sequence started that the sequence was unreadable with all words being
misspelled and that there was a tendency for lock up with some form of words
one would suppose to mean that the system was installing the kernel. Grub did
allow one to choose Windows or boot into it normal mode of Linux. If one
chose Windows the system started and worked correctly. If one chose Linux the
screen simply did not work correct.

Now having a second HD which was almost set up to be equal to the Thinkpad's
standard HD a quick change of HD produced equal results with the advantage
that I was able to play with the Thinkpad without destroying data on the
standard HD.

After playing with the Thinkpad it was off to the old computer shop for
hardware repairs as I was unable to physically perform repairs myself. I had
started physical repairs but simply just could not go on. Two weeks, total
dissemble several times, three technicians in a shop devoted to Linux and the
consensus was that there is a cracked motherboard or some such. What was
never actually ascertained but there is some physical issue which the
consensus was to start by replacing the Thinkpad's components.

Not not being rich and needing the laptop fully functional not just the
Windows side I started playing again.

First I tried to install a newer version of Linux. The DVD latest Ubuntu disk
I have simply refused to run - PERIOD - total, completely non functional. I
had chose Ubuntu for the first test simply because of its reputation of being
the most Laptop friendly.

Next I tried the most advanced desktop distribution I have which is the latest
version of commercial grade SuSE (not OpenSuSE but real SuSE) 10.1.  Well it
would install and it would run sometimes but. Now this "BUT" produces exactly
the same response that another big similar "BUT" had produces several years
ago in this identical box which was that after installation everything worked
sort of. At that time it took a year for me first to ascertain there was a
problem and second to ascertain that the problem was a read CD read error on
installation but only on one set of CDs from one Linux distribution. These
two were commercial grade CD meaning they are not recorded but stamped. With
this issue in the back of my mind a number of installation probably on the
order of 20 or so were implemented. After each installation at some point the
GUI would dimply lock up generating a total complete system crash. Knowing
this some how was related to a screen issue and being laze it was simpler to
do the instalation over while of course working on other issue - non computer
related.

Well three distributions down, off to Fedora which promptly displayed all the
same issues as SuSE. The original distribution was Mandrake 10.1.

Being stubborn and having an more stable take off of Red Hat called Scientific
Linux put out out by the boom boom boys at Los Alamos I decided to try it.
Guess what it worked. Screen resolution was 800x600 instead of 1024x786 but
it did work. Now Scientific Linux being very stable means that it is also not
exactly cutting edge software. Infract one might say it is a little slow in
the features that I like.

So what to do I have a operating system in Linux in a distribution that I do
not like on the spare HD and a Linux distribution some 3 years on on the
normal HD which did work but now does not.

Back to the normal HD to see what may be arranged. First attempts, yes there
were several but only due to my bungling, the screen resolution was reset to
800x600. Well I did work better than it did before but not as well as the
Scientific Linux does. Next it was observed that the screen which must
refresh frequently as KWorldClock had been the preferred screen background
was not refreshing so KWorldClock was replaced with a single standard
background. This helped quite a bit. Instering thing to note were that
reseting the screen resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 did not change the
resolution of the screen. Reducing the colors to 15 bit from 24 did not
appear to help performance as the screen was just a screwed up afterwards as
before. Through all the preceding it was never noted what the screen issues
where when the computer did actually work Back in the original Mandrake
instalation. There once was a screen saver back in the Red Hat 6 days that
made the screen into a jig saw puzzle and randomly moved the pieces around.
That is a close an explanation of what was happening Mandrake. In Scientific
Linux I have a very nice fully operational screen. Back to the latest
modified version of the Mandrake 10.1 settings I have a normal screen that is
sluggish.

The issue to me and the reason for this posting is does any body else have
problems with their Thinkpad along similar lines and if so what method was
used to solve or correct the issue.

Oh, and least I forget why the Windows works and the Linux does not is because
Windows does not have the screen abilities of Linux.