[ltp] Re: Comparison: rovclock and PowerPlay

David Abrahams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:51:06 -0400

"Alex Deucher" <alexdeucher@gmail.com> writes:

>> Well, I've been playing around with ACPI and hotkeys and just
>> discovered some really interesting things.  Before I could use the
>> video hotkey I had to enable all the hotkeys with
>>
>>   sudo echo 0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
>>
>> (stuck it in my /etc/rc.local actually).  Without customizing the
>> event response, /etc/acpi/events/ibm-videobtn was just a do-nothing
>> stub, but the button actually did lots: it would cycle through all
>> combinations of screens I had connected.  Brilliant!
>
> ibm_acpi takes over the buttons, when it does they produce button
> events which you can use to call scripts, etc.

Yes, I know; I have several of those working.

> when ibm_acpi doesn't
> claim the buttons, then the bios controls them and they call into the
> radeon bios to toggle displays and such.  the bios and the X driver
> don't know about each other

Sorry, would you mind explaining?  What does the X driver have to do
with it?  So far the entities involved are ibm_acpi and the bios, and
according to you they are mutually exclusive.

>  so they are messing with register state without the other's
>  knowledge.

What registers?  What are the implications of this?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting