[ltp] Re: Newbie video questions

Hans Bostrom linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:16:57 +0200

Update on my previous questions:

> >  you don't have enough VRAM to do depth
> > 24 at 1400x1050 (requires ~17 MB, you only have 16 MB).  reduce your
> > color depth to 16 and it should work.

Thanks Alex, that was it! (Modest) hardware 3D now works - glxgears around 900-1200 FPS

> > Option "Display" "BIOS"
> >
> > into your /etc/X11/xorg.conf 's Device section, restart X.  This has
> > been used for r128 cards for a long time.

I tried this, but it only activates the external VGA (which of course is
good), but I can't toggle screens with Fn+F7. So even though I
appreciate your suggestion, it doesn't really solve my problem.

> Or you can try
>
>    sudo echo 0xffff > /proc/acpi/ibm/hotkey
>
> This enables the key in the hotkey mask.  Worked for me.

I can't try this option, I don't even have the directory /acpi/ with
subdirectories installed. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Hans