[ltp] Anyone else seen "T30" memory-slot failure in T2x or other models?

Fri, 1 Dec 2006 7:10:09 -0800

---- Timothy Murphy <tim@birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> On Friday 01 December 2006 05:50, FeRD wrote:
>
> > problem is T30-specific.
Not really

> > Has anyone else seen this problem on the T2x series machines, or is it
> > just mine? I'd like to update and generalize the ThinkWiki entry to
> > include (at least) the T2x series, if it's a common problem there. I
> > hadn't noticed the entry before, I only spotted it today because I'm
> > researching a T30 I'll be given soon. (Yes, it's also experiencing
> > memory-slot failure... I'm plagued, it seems.)
>

> Incidentally, the suggested solution in the wiki is rather vague -
> "cut a small strip of metal and fold it in half" -
> what kind of strip of metal are we talking about? and why metal?

I think that the "metal" is because memory chips can get warm
and if plastic melted it would be very, very ugly.
I have tried this fix a few times using a shaved piece of the thermal
rubber salvaged from broken TP base plastic pieces.
I really don't remember all of them but I do remember at least two
where it didn't make any difference and at least one where I
"saved" a non useable box .