[ltp] Lenovo/Thinkpad 90W power supply temperature

Fri, 01 Dec 2006 17:05:56 -0700

Quoting Hamish <hamish@travellingkiwi.com>:

> However my 90W 20V power supply that came with the z60m and z61m seems to run
> very very hot... When running the z61m normally, and sitting on the floor
> (Carpeted) after about 6 hours it's almost too hot to hold...
>
> Are these things supposed to run that hot? Or are they simply a fire disaster
> waiting to happen?

   I don't know if it's a fire hazard, but it will almost certainly
give the power supply a very sort lifespan. The capacitors will dry out
and it will start producing a really ugly sawtooth wave instead of nice
clean DC.

   I'd call it defective even if it's behaving as Lenovo expects it to.