[ltp] Re: Where is my /dev/hdc?

Fionn Behrens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Dec 2006 18:25:25 +0100

--=-+RsaTdmBYrngH2048rlY

On 29.11.2006, 10:29 +0100 Pezhman Givy wrote:

> I have a problem with the ultrabay slot. After boot there is no
> /dev/hdc, no matter if the second HD or CD-drive is inserted in
> Ultrabay. /dev/hdc apears after ejecting and reinserting the drive.
> Thinkpad model is T42p and I have lt_hotsswap 0.3.6 installed.
> Does anybody know what could be wrong?

Everytime the lt_hotswap kernel module loads it is effectively
disconnecing the currently active bay device. Usually this is when you
boot - and on some systems the hotswap module is being reloaded when the
notebook suspends (which is totally unnecessary)

There are two ways around this:

1) dont load the module on boot. Load it when you want to swap drives.

2) remove and reinsert the bay device after boot. /dev/hdc will be back.

If I remember correctly there was someone on this list about 2 months
ago who posted an ACPI script that took care of method 1) by loading the
hotswap module on the first time when an ACPI bay eject event occured.
(i.e. the eject lever is flipped out).
Use your favourite search to find it.

kind regards,
		Fionn