[ltp] Laptop dead after trying to backup C drive (sata) using Acronis True Image, help SVP

Don Perley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:20:57 -0500

Well.... here's a guess..

I can't believe a new windows machine would come with a FAT32 C
parition, so let's assume it started out as NTFS.

If parted just resized the C partition to make room for the others and
DIDN'T resize the file system and/or couldn't do that for NTFS, then
backing up C to D would write over what is still part of the C file system.

If the hidden partition (/dev/sda1) is the (intact!) recovery partition,
you have to do whatever F-key-on-boot is needed to access that and
restore the machine to it's original state.  I don't know, maybe it will
restore the C: drive to its reduced size partition and leave the others
alone.