[ltp] Laptop dead after trying to backup C drive (sata) using Acronis True Image, help SVP

James Knott linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:35:18 -0500

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Tino Keitel <tino.keitel@tikei.de> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 14:20:57 -0500, Don Perley wrote:
>> > Well.... here's a guess..
>> >
>> > I can't believe a new windows machine would come with a FAT32 C
>> > parition, so let's assume it started out as NTFS.
>>
>> Just believe it, some vendors do such things.
>
> Actually I think most of the ThinkPads we've gotten in the last few
> years come with a FAT32 drive.  When you boot it, one of the first
> things it does is run the FAT32 to NTFS converter.  I've always been
> kind of curious why they couldn't do that at the factory, but hey.

If it's like my R31, it isn't installed at the factory.  It's built on
first use from the install partition and XP installs to FAT, then
converts to NTFS.  If you bought the retail version, you'd have to
manually convert to NTFS.