[ltp] Sound on 770x

Daniel Skorka linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 18:12:04 +0100

On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 09:31:51AM -0600, rcmayfld@memphis.edu wrote:
> do i need to download /dev/dsp for sound?
> i cant find this file on the HD......

I take it your understanding of device files is rather fleeting?
The answer is NO. Not having /dev/dsp means one of several things:

a) You are not using udev, and the file never was created. This is
remedied by running MAKEDEV appropriately.
b) You are using udev, and there is no sound driver loaded. This means
you'll have to find the correct sound driver and make sure it can be
loaded. Details differ widely.
c) You are using udev with an ALSA sound driver without OSS emulation.
Look in /dev/snd, note that these files are used differently.
d) You are using udev, but the configuration is such that /dev/dsp isn't
ever created. Read the udev documentation on how to change that.
e) Possibly some other reason I can't think of now.

> has anyone gotten the sound to run on the TP770x FC4

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:770X

Daniel
--
Redefining \today will not alter the postmark printed on the envelope by
the post office.