[ltp] Re: 64-bit Linux on core-2-duo's?

Hamie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:55:29 +0000

On Thursday 07 December 2006 08:33, Matt Ettus wrote:
> I've got a T60 with Core 2 Duo.  Tried running Ubuntu 6.10 64-bit on
> it, but couldn't get wireless working, and lots of other stuff was
> flaky.  Don't think wired ethernet worked either, but I may be wrong.
> Reinstalled 6.10 in 32-bit mode and it was mostly ok.
>
> Then I installed FC6 64-bit and everything works great!  Even have
> compiz and all the cool 3D features working properly.   I've got one
> of the 1400x1050 machines with Intel graphics, so no silly ATI drivers
> needed.  Definitely worth getting the Intel GFX.

I now have my z61m running with Gentoo amd64. (Mostly). However the gentoo
kernels don't include things like suspend for SMP, so I switched to a vanilla
kernel (2.6.19) and it's running like a charm.

ipw3945 isn't working for me yet, although I haven't tried to re-install it
since I mived from a gentoo kernel to vanilla. Everything else is so far
fine, sound was easy once I'd re-enabled the modem in the BIOS. Graphics are
1680x1050 with X1400 sadly (And I needed the ATI drivers to get the
resolution, never mind the DRI working)... I couldn't find a hires intel LCD
(I need the screen real-estate). The Z series keyboard has a different feel
to it from my old r50p... Not sure if I like it very much. I'll see how I get
used to it. Part of that could be the fact I'm now on a UK keyboard again,
until I can get a US-International one swapped out.

I'm going to do a page for tuxmobile at some stage, like I did for my
r-series. Info on getting stuff working with the Z was dire... I had to boot
from a Knoppix 32-bit DVD, install to HD, boot from that, build a base gentoo
filesystem unpack everytjing & then copy a kernel & modules from my desktop
(Also amd64) just to get the damn thing to boot... The debian CD's seem to
have very old kernels & don't work at all, the gentoo DVD/CD's for install
have problems with the ACPI and either lockup or (With ACPI disabled) don't
see the network or SATA disk.  (In fact the Knoppix one was the only one that
saw network & disk at all).

I still have to get the SD card slot working... Drivers load, but no /dev/mmc*
dev nodes. And tpctl doesn't work on gentoo amd64 (Doesn't compile). I'll
look at that manually when I get a chance rather than rely on portage.

Hamish.