[ltp] Purchasing a Thinkpad without OS?

Kristian Berge Nessa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 8 Dec 2006 17:31:15 +0100

Torsdag 07 desember 2006 21:59 skreiv Baz:
> Buy it directly from Lenovo.

Unfortunately, I live in Europe where this is not an option. Here, Lenovo (as
IBM before it) has chosen to deal exclusively through local resellers. And
the resellers I've approached so far only sell a limited selection
of "TopSeller" preconfigured models, which means they are very much
un-customizable, and not one has been interested in selling me one without
OS - not even the T60p - arguing there is not enough demand.

And the Lenovo/US site does not ship overseas, because of 'export
restrictions'.
I see that there are no OS-less Thinkpads offered on the US website either,
however there is a reference to a phone number on their "We support Linux"
page.

Are you saying that a US citizen calling Lenovo could possibly order any
Thinkpad (even the X60s), without OS?

--
Regards,
Kristian Berge Nessa

Cavatina Software AS - Systems development & Free Software consulting
Einervn. 2A, N-4056 Tananger, Norway
Tel.: +47 414 49 991