[ltp] T43: No DMA for /dev/hdc (Ultrabay Slim HDD)

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 19:38:20 -0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Daniel Skorka wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 07:04:25PM +0800, amateur wrote:
> > I didn't use the dvd driver for a long time, but I remember that the
> > UltraSlim Slot is a connected to the system with ATAPI interface while
> > the internal hard disk is connected with a SATA interface. It seems
>
> I think you are wrong. The way I understand the explanation on
> thinkwiki.org, the UltraBay Slim is 'intelligent' in that it acts
> accordingly to what device is inserted in the slot. In fact, I seriously
> doubt that you can talk to a PATA harddrive using ATAPI. Note that ATAPI
> is a _command set_ run over IDE/ATA, *not* an _interface_.

You need libata.  Linux will be talking to an ICH that talks to the Ultrabay
over a *SATA* channel, no matter what is in the bay.

DMA in that *hardware* config requires libata.  ATAPI with DMA support needs
libata with ATAPI support enabled.  Bay hotplug with DMA support needs
2.6.18 or 2.6.19 libata with ATAPI support enabled.

This should be clear as day in ThinkWiki. If it is not, we need to do some
editing.

  Henrique Holschuh