[ltp] T43: No DMA for /dev/hdc (Ultrabay Slim HDD)

Fri, 8 Dec 2006 20:41:49 -0200

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> You need libata.  Linux will be talking to an ICH that talks to the Ultrabay
> over a *SATA* channel, no matter what is in the bay.

Drat. I was wrong about this part:

This is from a T43, kernel 2.6.18:

ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: version 2.00
ata_piix 0000:00:1f.2: MAP [ P0 P2 IDE IDE ]
ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 cmd 0x1F0 ctl 0x3F6 bmdma 0x18C0 irq 14
ata2: PATA max UDMA/100 cmd 0x170 ctl 0x376 bmdma 0x18C8 irq 15

That, AFAIK, means the ultrabay channel is a PATA one, and that the ICH
device is in combined mode.  I wonder what was done in the *60?  Drop PATA
support, or route a PATA and a SATA channel there?

This explains why ide-generic can actually sort-of-work, it does so over the
standard IDE BARs but that does means generic support (so, no DMA).

I wonder what is the output of a T60 in combined and AHCI modes...

> DMA in that *hardware* config requires libata.  ATAPI with DMA support needs
> libata with ATAPI support enabled.  Bay hotplug with DMA support needs
> 2.6.18 or 2.6.19 libata with ATAPI support enabled.

This is still true.  You need libata to drive a ICH in combined mode with
DMA support.

  Henrique Holschuh