[ltp] wireless networking

Peter F. Patel-Schneider linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 05:41:15 -0500

I have persevered and gotten networking to work well on my T60p under Fedora Core 6.

It simply was a matter of turning on the Network Manager after loading the correct driver as described in  <http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_6_on_a_ThinkPad_T60>
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_6_on_a_ThinkPad_T60

I started NetworkManager via:

/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManager on
/sbin/chkconfig --level 345 NetworkManagerDispatcher on
/sbin/service NetworkManager start
/sbin/service NetworkManagerDispatcher start

I expect that the services GUI would work as well.

I can now switch between wired and wireless and use WPA-encryption.

peter

sudhakar+thinkpad@CS.Princeton.EDU <mailto:sudhakar+thinkpad@CS.Princeton.EDU> wrote:
>/
/>/
/>/ Hi all,
/>/
/>/
/>/ I got a new R60 with ipw3945 wireless on it. Fedora core 6.  Can someone
/>/ help me get the wireless to work?
/>/
/>/ Is there a quick way to get it to work as opposed to getting the kernel
/>/ sources, packages and compiling and troubleshooting.
/>/
/>/
/>/ Thanks!  I will try writing up about my experiences.
/>/
/>/
/>/
/>/ --Sudhakar
/
I have done the work described at
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_6_on_a_ThinkPad_T60
and gotten to the point of having eth1 working.  However, my home
wireless uses the new encryption, which does not appear to be supported.

peter