[ltp] Configuring Wifi in a T30 with a RaLink RA-2500 cardbus/miniPCI

Glenn Hollowell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Dec 2006 23:36:55 -0900

Am having a really frustrating time configuring wireless on my T-30. I
have installed an RaLink RA2500 cardbus/miniPCI and am running SuSE
10.2. I've upgraded the BIOS to accept this card which runs flawlessly
when booted into XP.

The card appears to have been detected and configured properly during
installation of SuSE 10.2.

Settings are:
Network Setup Method = User controlled with Network Manager

Device Activation at Boot time

Authentication Mode = shared key.

When running KWiFiManager I get a range of signal strengths within about
a ten second period: from "out of range" to "Ultimate"(signal strength
185) and everything in between. There is only one wireless network
within range and it is easily picked up by a Dell (WinXP), an Apple
Laptop and the T30 booted into XP. I've reset the router frequency
channel to 2.412[1], (as this seems to be what WiFiManager prefers) but
this seems to not effect the signal dropout. We've had no problems
w/configuring the other laptops, and no signal strength issues either.

I assume that I will not be needing Ndiswrapper as the card is being
configured, (sort of???) by YAST.

Any advice and/or enlightenment would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Glenn