[ltp] Re: Lenovo/Thinkpad and NVidia

Anthony J Moulen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Dec 2006 21:51:12 -0500

On Thursday 07 December 2006 23:31, Bo Shi wrote:
> > The two are mutually exclusive.
>
> I disagree - a trade-off certainly but not exclusive.  The T40's come
> with FireGL-class cards.  Granted they aren't ultraportables X, but
> that's not what I asked for.  My buddy has a G41 - it's massive
> compared to anything lenovo has in its current line (i.e. the new Gs)
>
> Does anyone have any inside information/rumors on whether Lenovo plans
> on staying with ATI for their current/future model laptops?

I would guess that you aren't going to see nVidia on a Thinkpad anytime soon
since the current line doesn't have one and they aren't going to do it
without creating a new device.  I am also under the impression that the G
series of notebooks didn't do so well because they were really desktop in a
carry case.  Not sure what would be the advantage of an nVidia chipset in a
laptop anyway the power and response requirements are a fair amount more than
the ATI mobile set now, although I guess I could see it on the high end P
version of the T or Z.

> --
> Bo Shi
> 233 Massachusetts Avenue
> Cambridge, MA 02139
> (207) 469-8264
Odd set of address and telephone number, a Mass address with a Maine telephone
number.  Interestingly enough I've had the same combination.