[ltp] "File not found" with recent kernels

Timothy Murphy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 13:55:04 +0000

I'm running Fedora-6 on a ThinkPad T23,
with my root partition on a disk in the Ultrabay /dev/hdc .

Recent kernels do not seem to see /dev/hdc during boot,
which therefore fails, with the above message.

This happens with vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6, vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
and vmlinuz-2.6.19, which I just compiled myself.
On the other hand, vmlinuz-2.6.18 (also compiled by me) is working fine.

I tried running grub interactively,
and it seems that /dev/hdc5, which is my / partition, is not found.

I wonder if this is ThinkPad Ultrabay specific,
or has there been a general change in the kernel setup?

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366