[ltp] New WiFi NIC

Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:12:51 -0700

Quoting James Knott <james.knott@rogers.com>:

> James Knott wrote:
>> I'm considering replacing the WiFi NIC in my R31.  I'd like one that
>> works with WiFi Manager and can easily replace the existing built in
>> mini-PCI card.
>>
>> Any recommendations?
>>

> That should be "works with KWiFi Manager".

   I'm pretty fond of my Intel 2200 card. Excellent range, drivers work
very well.

   afaik the requirements for kwifimanager are probably that it
supports wireless extensions and supports scanning. The intel wifi
cards do.

   The issue you're going to run into is that non-IBM cards will be
rejected by the bios, unless you use one of the various methods for
disabling that 'feature'.