[ltp] automatically detecting external monitor?

Juergen Lemke linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 23:55:19 +0100 (CET)

Hi everyone,

I have been the happy user of a X30 under GNU/Linux
for a couple of years now. I finally got around to
using an external monitor, keyboard and mouse whenever
I am at a desk, and I have successfully configured
X.org to work with both the internal monitor (at
1024x768x24) as well as the external one (at
1280x1024x24). For other users of this model, I have
attached my xorg.conf in case they find it useful.

I do so by using two "Screen" sections in my xorg.conf
file, and starting X with either

$ startx -- - screen internal

or

$ startx -- - screen external

This works fine. But is it possible to have X
automatically detect if the external monitor is
attached, and pick the correct "Screen" section on its
own?

Thank you for any advice!

Best

Juergen