[ltp] 3D acceleration on ThinkPad T42

Paul RIVIER linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 13:27:56 +0100

Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Am Samstag 16 Dezember 2006 09:36 schrieb olivier.paquien:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I heard somewhere, and many times, you don't need to use the ati
>> drivers for the T42's video card. I'm using Xorg(AIGLX) with radeon
>> drivers and Beryl. It works nice and fast enough for me (didn't try to
>> play yet).
>>

> Hello Olivier!
>
> Well I tried them first, but I didn't get them to work, I even tried them
> again once I had fglrx working just to make sure I didn't miss
> anything... see:
>
> Thread
> [ltp] Radeon support for T42 DRI?
>
> My mail:
> http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/pipermail/linux-thinkpad/2006-December/037480.html
>
> If you have any hints I am all ears ;-). I have no idea on where I might
> have missed something.
>
> Regards,

They do work out of the box as long as you use a recent version of
X.org. See:
$ X -version

X Window System Version 7.1.1
Release Date: 12 May 2006
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 7.1.1

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
(...)
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "ATI Technologies, Inc. RV350 NP [Mobility
Radeon 9600/9700 M10/M11]"
        Driver          "radeon"
        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option          "AGPMode"       "4"
        Option          "AGPSize" "64"
        Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"
        Option          "ColorTiling"   "on"
        Option          "EnableDepthMoves" "true"
        Option          "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
        Option          "RenderAccel"   "true"
        Option          "GARTSize"      "64"
        Option          "DRI"     "true"
        Option          "DPMS"
        Option          "DynamicClocks" "on"
EndSection
(...)
Section "DRI"
        Mode    0666
EndSection

$ glxinfo | grep -i render
libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x4b
direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 20060815 AGP 4x TCL