[ltp] T42 Locks with SUSE 10.1

Richard Bellin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 16 Dec 2006 05:05:58 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All,

  I have been experiencing random lockups running
Suse 10.1 on a T42 Thinkpad. When the system hangs,
the hard drive light comes on, and everything is
frozen. Mouse and keyboard are locked out. The only
exit is to power off the machine.

  There doesn't seem to be any particular application
that triggers this. Sometimes this may happen within
5 minutes of power up. Other cases are when sitting
idle overnight.  I have scanned the various logs I
have and do not see anything that might indicate why
the system hung.

 I don't seem to experience this lockup when booting
Windows. I've also run an exhaustive memory test with
the idea that maybe I have bad RAM, but that has
turned up negative. I suspect that this is a Linux
software problem. Any suggestions for tracking this
annoyance down would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanx in advance.

  Rich