[ltp] T42 Locks with SUSE 10.1

Sat, 16 Dec 2006 18:09:36 +0200

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:05:58AM -0800, Richard Bellin wrote:
>   I have been experiencing random lockups running=20
> Suse 10.1 on a T42 Thinkpad. When the system hangs,=20
> the hard drive light comes on, and everything is=20
> frozen. Mouse and keyboard are locked out. The only=20
> exit is to power off the machine.=20

I have experienced random lockups on my T42 (Radeon Mobility M7), caused
by the X radeon driver (the one in Ubuntu Dapper).   Often my laptop
would freeze during a workspace switch in metacity.  Sometimes it would
just freeze.  If I tried to use xrandr or xvidtune to change the video
mode, it would almost always freeze.  Sometimes I could go for weeks
without freezes, sometimes I'd get three or four freezes in one day.

A newer version of the driver (the one in Ubuntu Edgy) fixed it.=20

I don't know if you have the same problem, or something different.

>   There doesn't seem to be any particular application
> that triggers this. Sometimes this may happen within
> 5 minutes of power up. Other cases are when sitting
> idle overnight.  I have scanned the various logs I
> have and do not see anything that might indicate why
> the system hung.=20
> =20
>  I don't seem to experience this lockup when booting=20
> Windows. I've also run an exhaustive memory test with
> the idea that maybe I have bad RAM, but that has
> turned up negative. I suspect that this is a Linux
> software problem. Any suggestions for tracking this
> annoyance down would be greatly appreciated.=20

The symptoms are pretty similar.  Do you use the open-source radeon
driver?  What version?  My /var/log/Xorg.0.log says

  (II) Module radeon: vendor=3D"X.Org Foundation"
        compiled for 7.1.1, module version =3D 4.2.0

while the package version that fixed the freezes was
xserver-xorg-video-ati 1:6.6.2-0ubuntu3 (and the fix was in a patch
taken from upstream git, so the upstream 6.6.2 didn't have the fix):

  * Fix radeon aperture size check that was causing hangs and crashes on
    RN50, M6, M7 with 8/16/32(??) MBs of VRAM:
    - 08_radeon_fix_aperture_size_check.diff

Marius Gedminas
--=20
Lost packet, 42 bytes, last seen on a saturated OC3, reward $$$.
                -- Eric^2 on Slashdot

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v

--2JFBq9zoW8cOFH7v--